Close

Our School App Stay connected on the go...

Open

Art and Design

Why study Art?

A Level Art provides opportunities to develop your creative skills through a wide range of practices from painting and printmaking to ceramics. You will produce a portfolio of practical work and visit galleries/places of interest. The course allows progression onto pre-degree Foundation courses; degree courses in Art related specialisms as well as a broad range of careers.
 

What will I study?

Involvement in the course will offer you opportunities to participate in a range of activities including research and investigation; observational studies; responses to the work of artists; exploration of ideas; experimentation with a range of processes; refinement of work as it progresses and the development of visual skills through personal responses in sketchbooks and final pieces of work. 
 

AS Level

Unit 1: Coursework in relation to the theme 'Food for Thought'.
Unit 2: Externally Set Assignment.
 

A2 Level

Unit 3: Practical coursework in relation to a Personal Study -  a creative investigation of your choice. 
Unit 4: Externally Set Assignment. 
 

How is the course assessed?

Coursework counts for 60% of your final grade and exam work counts for the other 40%.
 
At the end of the course you will put up an exhibition of your work which is then assessed by teacher examiners and moderators from the exam board. This forms part of our Summer Art Show to which parents/carers are invited to view the achievements and successes of our A level students.
 
See the gallery below from last year's show.

What grades do I need to study Art at HSC?

You will need GCSE Art grade C+ or above as well as English Grade C or above.

Page Gallery