Our School App Stay connected on the go...
130 years of success! A level Results
Contemporary learning in a historic year for empowered HSC students
The A level class of 2017 at Hornsey Sixth Form College has reached the high standards expected of them once again with a 95% pass rate; 81% achieved A*-C grades, surpassing the provisional national average. These excellent results ensure that they will continue on their individual paths to secure sought after roles as our leaders of tomorrow.
HSC students are celebrating the fusion of our school’s heritage and contemporary learning. In the year Hornsey celebrates its 130th birthday, our sixth formers have triumphed across the modern-day A levels required to obtain the skills needed by employers’ for careers of the future. Alongside traditional subjects, such as English and Mathematics, students have also excelled in modern-day ones like Sociology, Psychology, Media and Health and Social Care.
We are delighted that once again HSC students have achieved results to be proud of. Their aspirations and the school’s unique approach to learning have empowered them with the confidence and skills to not only excel in their recent examinations, but to thrive at university and forge successful careers.
Staff and students have both worked unstintingly to turn ambitions into reality, some highlights include:
- Lava: 3 As and 1 B in Government and Politics, English Language, Film Studies and History is going to study History and Film at Sussex University and leaves with dreams of one day making political documentaries.
- Hayat: (A/B/B) in Sociology, Film and Media Studies is going to college to continue her studies before moving onto university to study Politics. She hopes this will allow her to find a career in international relations.
- Michael will be studying Geology at Brighton University next year. He is excited that his passion for science has led to a career path in an expanding industry.
- Zairish is going to Middlesex University to study Cardiac Physiology before seeking a career with the NHS. An early experience in hospital has meant she always wanted to emulate the health professionals that helped her.
- Lima (Year 12 – As level) received an A and C in Persian and Maths. Her natural curiosity has led to a love of Chemistry and a desire to make the next great discovery in her scientific field.
We are delighted to confirm that even more students than last year are celebrating success, as 90% have already accepted or been offered a place at their first choice destination. As recently recognised by Ofsted, HSC’s students receive excellent guidance and mentoring to help this happen. HSC also focuses on supporting students to become well-rounded young adults. Staff work diligently to complement students’ academic attainment by providing numerous, suitable extra-curricular opportunities that will allow students to set themselves apart from their peers.
Ms Hewitt, Assistant Head of Hornsey Sixth Form College said: “I believe the attention and bespoke support that students receive at Hornsey Sixth Form College is what gives them the edge. These results are no less than students and staff deserve. The tireless dedication to achieving their goals is admirable and this success is a credit to everyone involved. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for each and every one of the talented young adults that are now leaving us for the next exciting chapters in their lives.”
Kuljit Rahelu, Headteacher responded: “I am so proud that this year our sixth formers have matched the high benchmark we set for them. I believe they all have bright futures ahead of them and I doubt this will be the last time we hear their names. It’s a wonderful way to mark a momentous year in the school’s history – here’s to the next 130 years!”